You’ve heard about the famous “salty balls” that will be at the BEAT Spinathon. Now, here is your chance to make your very own batch of vanilla or chocolate salty balls!
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or any kind of nut butter)
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate
- 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- (If you don’t have brown rice sugar, you can substitute honey or maple syrup or agave, though you may want to cut it down to 1/4 c as these are sweeter than brown rice syrup.)
- Combine all ingredients. If you need a bit more holding power, add a dash of protein powder.
- Throw a sprinkle of salt on top and freeze until needed (makes ~10 balls, ~140kcal/ball).
The recipe was created by Stacy Sims, who is a guru in sports nutrition. In 2009 she developed a hydration formula for the Garmin-Slipstream cycling team – that formula became Skratch. Stacy also created Osmo and now has a new company, NBS Nutrition (No BS) developing new hydration products at rock bottom prices. In other words, she’s a rock star in the sports nutrition world.